04 April 2011

Posted by Lisa

Labels: ,

Sugar on Snow!! - Family Portrait Photographer - Northeast Kingdom Vermont

Sugar on Snow is a Vermont tradition that goes way back.  I'll be honest and admit that a) I'm not a Vermonter. And b) I don't actually know the history behind this tradition.  But it's probably one of my favorite things to do here!  I'll share how we do it.



First of all, the cast of characters. We have the hot maple syrup, which is poured in small amounts onto the snow (which is actually shaved ice in this case), a plain unsweetened donut to dip into the hot maple syrup, dill pickles to cut the sweetness, and some Vermont apple cider to wash it all down.




Here, Anna has poured a little too much syrup onto the snow, but who cares. It still tastes great. When it hits the snow, it thickens into a sort of candy. And man, is it good.





Here on the left you can see my experienced Vermont friend, Arlene, does it correctly. Once the syrup thickens on the cold snow, you can pick it right up, roll it on your fork and eat it. Then you take the plain donut and dip it into the warm maple syrup goodness.




What better way to cut the sweetness of the maple syrup than to eat a dill pickle! It sounds yucky, but I assure you the flavors compliment each other. My mouth is watering as I'm writing this. Mmmmmmm.......




And what do you do if you have eaten all the snow, donuts, and pickles, but you still have syrup left? Well, you drink it, or course!!





And what do you do if you run out of Sugar on Snow altogether??? Well, you cry, of course!




Or you can get a maple creemee!!!





Here's the boiler where the magic happens. It's quite steamy in there, so I couldn't get a good shot of the syrup in the boiler. But boy did it smell good in there!




Here are the different grades of syrup they make. My favorite is the fancy grade, but my husband likes the medium amber. Since I didn't grow up on this stuff, it has taken me a long time to warm up to it. I mostly like to cook with it (maple glazed port roast, anyone???).  But occasionally, I'll do THIS.  :o)




The steamy hot goodness coming from the top of the sugar house. Mmmmmm....... Sugar on Snow. A wonderful Vermont tradition I'm blessed to be able to share with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013 Stowe Vermont Photographer | Stowe Family Photographer | Stowe Newborn Photographer | Design by Cinnamon Girl Studio